All guitars shipped from Town Center Music get a FREE TCM Setup, which includes:
- Neck adjustment (angle & truss rod)
- String height (action)
- Nut slot depth & width
- Cleaning of pots & jacks
The G&L ASAT® Special just might be the quintessential G&L guitar, viewed by many as Leo’s ultimate single-cutaway. Back in 1985, Leo Fender† launched this model under the G&L Broadcaster name, which prompted a response from Fred Gretsch of Gretsch Guitars over the name just as it had thirty-five years earlier. History buffs will recall that the Broadkaster® name is owned by Gretsch, and once again, a Broadcaster from Leo was required to have its name changed. This time around, the name became “ASAT” which is US military shorthand for an “Anti-Satellite” missile.
The ASAT Special, as the model became known, features jumbo single-coil Magnetic Field Design™ pickups, each with a narrow bobbin aperture for a coil which is shallow yet wide. In this regard, an MFD™ jumbo single coil is similar to a P-90 or Jazzmaster® pickup, yet the MFD principle provides a punchier bottom end and brighter top end sparkling with harmonics. Leo further departed with the past with the addition of his innovative Saddle-Lock™ bridge which transfers string energy right into the body end-grain for an incredibly resonant instrument. The result is one of the most versatile guitars ever, serving up ballsy twang to searing blues to smooth jazz tones.
- CONSTRUCTION: bolt-on
- SCALE: 25 1/2"
- PICKUPS: Leo Fender-designed jumbo G&L MFD™ single coils made in Fullerton, California
- BODY WOOD: Alder with Rear Contour
- NECK WOOD: Vintage Tint Satin Hard-Rock Maple with Chechen Rosewood fingerboard
- NECK PROFILE: G&L Modern Classic with 9 1/2" radius
- NUT: 100% natural bone
- FRETS: 22 medium jumbo, Jescar 57110 18% nickel silver
- TUNING KEYS: 12:1 ratio, sealed-back
- BRIDGE: Leo Fender-designed G&L Saddle-Lock™ with chrome-plated brass saddles
- CONTROLS: 3-position pickup selector, volume, tone
- CASE: G&L deluxe gig bag